Jonathon Narvey's COMM CENTRE

VANCOUVER . WEST COAST . CANADA . INTERNATIONAL . POLITICS . CULTURE . COMMENTARY . BLOGGING . ARTICLES . PHOTOS

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Is our city finally returning to normal?

Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan was ready to throw in the towel last week and hand out free drugs to the horde of drug-addled zombies trolling our fine city.

Hold on a minute, Sam.

The cops implemented a zero-tolerance policy for drug use on city streets a few weeks ago, actually arresting people shooting up outside of churches and schools for the first time in years. Since then, I've barely seen any beggars around Granville and Robson; at the beginning of April, the place was literally crawling with them (as I blogged about then. Read about it here).

I haven't seen any numbers yet, but I suspect that hitting at the center of the problem in the downtown eastside has led to a ripple effect at the epicenter - and one of Vancouver's most important commercial neighborhoods.

To all those who are willing to risk this city's future in the hopes of some remote possibility of success, hold on a little while longer. Maybe all we needed to take back our city from the edge was the will to do it.

Here's hoping we've turned the corner.

tags: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home