Jonathon Narvey's COMM CENTRE

VANCOUVER . WEST COAST . CANADA . INTERNATIONAL . POLITICS . CULTURE . COMMENTARY . BLOGGING . ARTICLES . PHOTOS

Friday, June 16, 2006

I'd be mad, too

Who's bright idea was it anyway to feed cows to cows?

Confirmation came today that Canada's most recent case of mad cow disease found on a farm near Vancouver was likely infected by BSE contaminated feed. That is, the cow ate ground up brains of its relatives mixed in with stuff that is barely recognizable as organic matter.

I do eat beef. I'm reasonably well-aware of the horrific processing involved in getting cow flesh onto my plate. I understand that an animal has to die for me to enjoy meat in my diet.

I accept that.

I also understand that the ground-up remnants of cows are banned from inclusion in cattle feed these days (specifically to prevent the spread of BSE). But I just can't believe that anyone thought it would be a good idea to start doing that in the first place.

I'm not a cattle rancher, but from what I understand, all cows eat grass. What's wrong with that?

tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home