What took you so long?

In Vancouver, the police motto appears to be "to serve and protect... when the mood strikes us."
Newly-elected Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan is being investigated by the cops for comments he made publicly five years ago about giving money to addicts to buy drugs (to learn firsthand about the drug problem in Vancouver).
Sullivan: “I was worried he would go steal something or do something illegal, so I offered
him the money. Then I figured I was there to learn, so why don't I learn how he
does it?”
Using the same logic, I could give someone a weapon to rob a convenience store and claim I was studying the problem of violent crime. In the name of education, ethics can be thrown out the window.
Frankly, I was surprised Sam didn’t lose the race over that business. I do think he could make an effective mayor, but the guy has made a few blunders that less forgiving voters might have picked up on.
But since the cops didn’t do anything about this before the election, and since the majority of Vancouverites actually elected him head honcho of the city, it does seem cynical to do anything about it now.
The police response? Better late than never.

<< Home